Total Pageviews

Followers

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Despite being in the water Sea Fever was in about as bad a shape as a boat could be and still float.

Why did i buy a Cal in bad shape?

In my research i found Cal 29s between 8000 and 20000 dollars and the ones
i looked at on the east coast of the USA all had the Cal rusty Beam
issue.

Thanks to people like Wilkie i was able to learn about the
beam and felt is was and issue i could repair

http://www.mariposasailing.com/


The
beam supports the mast and was made of steel and in 1970 Stainless
Steel cost to much money for the price they were selling the Cal for.

In general the other boats also had marginal sails and it would have been costly to have them moved to NY

Photobucket
Cutting out floor in head area

Photobucket

The rusted beam reveled

Photobucket

Cutting the three mounting tabs to save the bulkhead

Photobucket


I saw many people
on web sights struggle getting the beam out at this point and realized
i only needed to drill a small hole and it was out in 5 minutes

Photobucket


I do metal work and So its off to the fab shop to be copied

Photobucket

And of course why we want to save the bulkhead its in such nice condition

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your informative website. I've been using it as a reference in buying/surveying a Cal 29 for myself.

    This is a very subjective question but, do you think its "worth" buying a Cal 29 with a rusty beam? I'm looking at a "nice" 29 for a "good" price but it has a rusty beam.

    I'm fairly capable and believe the project to be within my ability. However I'm not sure if I should buy or run away from this boat. It is currently sail-able and may be years before the beam because a problem.

    Any thoughts for me?

    Thanks for your blog,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete